Accessibility Bites: Assistive Technologies
|September 28, 2023||Thursday||
12:00 PM - 12:30 PM
You often hear others talk about accessibility, but you’re not quite sure how to put it into practice (or maybe you just haven’t had a chance). These Accessibility Bites sessions are for you!
Join your host Helena Prins and facilitator Josie Gray in Zoom for one or all of the five 30-minute sessions taking place on the last Thursday of every month except December.
Session 1: Assistive Technologies
Our first drop-in session is designed to explore the assistive technologies and customization options available in the digital tools educators and staff often use. The goal is to explore these tools and identify what might make your work easier.
- 10 minutes: Demonstration of some of the assistive technologies and customization options available in some of the popular digital tools we use. These include:
- Text to speech (your device reading aloud text on the screen)
- Speech to text (your device writing down what you say aloud)
- Customizing visual displays (dark mode, high contrast, enlarging text size, readability tools)
- Automatic captioning
- 10 minutes: Everyone can try out different tools on their device. Your host and facilitator will be available for questions.
- 10 minutes: Everyone will come together to reflect on how it went, share their own experiences and tips, and ask additional questions.